1st Mixed Ability World Tournament – MARWT 2015
The first ever Mixed Ability Rugby World Tournament – MARWT was held in Yorkshire, between the 17th and 21st August 2015 and lined up more than 400 players from 10 different countries over five days of completely free and accessible events.
Coinciding with the Rugby World Cup, and with the spotlight on England as the host country, the MARWT was an unmissable opportunity to promote and expand the Mixed Ability model, showing to a wider audience that it is possible to break down barriers between able bodied and disabled players through integrated sport.
This event aligned with the aims of the RFU 2015 RWC Lead Up and Legacy activities through encouraging wider and long-lasting participation in rugby.
"Mixed Ability Rugby has the potential to inspire a radical change in the way we consider sport participation and social inclusion, setting a proven model for many other disciplines to follow."
Mixed ability teams and delegations involved so far are:
- Bumbles Rugby RUFC (England)
- Halifax Magpies (England)
- Castleford RUFC (England)
- Swansea Gladiators (Wales)
- Llanelli Warriors RFC (Wales)
- Departmental Selection Pas-de-Calais (France)
- Gaztedi Rugby Taldea (Euskadi)
- Royal Kituro RFC (Belgium)
- The Clan (Scotland)
- Chivasso Rugby ASD Onlus (Italy)
- Sunday Wells Rebels (Ireland)
- Christo Rugby Adapté (France)
- Skosi Pobdenici (Serbia)
- CLARA Auvergne Rugby Adapted (France)
- Banco Hipotecario (Argentina)